They agreed, and I got to work. They previous set-up in the bathroom included a small closet, which I demolished to give the room a few extra feet of space. There was also a stacked washer/dryer in an alcove next to the bathtub. I had switched the direction of that plumbing so that we could put the w/d in a closet in the hallway outside the bathroom, leaving the alcove as storage space for shelves. Because of the tight condo space, we put in a pocket door so that the door wouldn't block part of the bathroom when it swings open or shut.
The owners picked out a deep tub and glass sliding shower doors, all new fixtures, and a new sink and toilet. I installed a new, more functional and quieter fan for ventilation since the bathroom is on the basement level. I also moved the heater from above the toilet to below the sink, so that it could be more effective in the colder months.
The entire project, from tear-out to completion took just about six weeks, due to a few set-backs with the plumber and waiting for supplies to be ordered and arrive.
Before:


After Tearout:
See the next post for the finished product...